- 4 6-ounce portions of NETUNO Grouper 2-4 ounce fillets
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 7 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 pinch black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup dark beer, cold
- 1/3 cup sparkling water, cold
- 1 quart vegetable oil (or lard), for frying
- Pre-heat frying oil to 350°F (176°C).
- Set aside 2 tablespoons of flour. In a medium bowl, mix remaining flour with cornstarch and baking power. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the beer and sparking water to the dry ingredients, whisking continuously with a fork until batter is thick and smooth. Place the batter in the refrigerator to rest for about 30 minutes.
- Pat fillets dry with a paper towel and season with salt.
- Place the 2 tablespoons of flour in a shallow bowl. Dust each fillet in the flour and shake off any excess. Then dip into the cold batter, coating the entire fillet.
- Check the oil temperature is still 350°F (176°C) and carefully lower each fillet into the hot oil. Fry for about 8 minutes or until the batter is golden brown. Turn the fillets occasionally.
- Remove from frying oil and pat excess oil with a paper towel. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and serve immediately with tartar sauce and fries. Enjoy!