Mint Julep is known as the signature drink of the Kentucky Derby. This refresher dates back to the 18th century in the South and it contains bourbon, sugar, mint and crushed ice, although there is plenty of twits to it.
Today, we want to share our version of the basic Mint Julep that is perfect to customize it any way you like and with no refined sugars as an added bonus:
- A handful of mint leaves
- 1/4 oz honey or stevia (Optional: you can sub the usual cocktail syrup by simmering some honey + water on low heat until it gets syrup texture)
- 2 oz Kentucky Bourbon
- Crushed Ice
- Mint leaves and angostura bitter to garnish
- Lightly muddle the mint leaves with your chosen sweetener in a Julep cup.
- Add the bourbon and crushed ice
- Stir until you see the cup frosted
- Top with more crushed ice and garnish with mint sprig and angostura bitters. Enjoy!